Thursday, December 26, 2013

July



Just another conversation in the car:
Abby: Mom, if Hannah and I are ever alone with Grammy, I'll be the one to attack the bad guy.
Hannah: I want to attack him, too!
Abby: No, I'm older, I have to protect you.
Me: Hannah, you can call 911.
Hannah: No, I want to attack him with Abby!
Me: Why don't you all run in the bathroom, lock the door, and call 911?
Abby: What about Grammy?
Me: She'll have to run as best as she can!
Abby: But I really want to hit the bad guy. I've always wanted to hit something!
Hannah: Why do I have to call 911? Why can't Grammy call 911? I want to hit him, too!
Me: Fine, Grammy can call 911, and you can both hit him.



Hannah had her first soccer game today. We were surprised at how angry she got when the other team scored! She made her angry face, balled her fists, and starting breathing really hard. We laughed through the whole game. After the game, she gave these quotes:
"At one point, I thought in my mind, 'Oh, no she didn't!'"
"I ran up to the person and pushed her away with my feet and got the ball away. She said, 'What did you do that for?' and I said, 'This is soccer! You gotta be tough in this game!'"




The girls were in Charlotte's Web this evening. Hannah was Templeton the rat, and Abby was Wilbur the pig. They both did an amazing job. We were so proud!






For Mike's birthday, the girls made him minion cupcakes. The minions were holding letters that spelled out Happy Birthday, but the minions ran around and messed them all up. The girls also got a card thanking Mike for teaching them how to burp, and another card with elephant buns on the cover, because elephant buns are totally awesome.



We just had a family trip down to Galveston. While Mike was playing in the water with the girls, he lost his sunglasses. He now has sunglasses in three different oceans. We made a trip to Walmart and got another pair. When we got back to the car he noticed that there was a tag on the sunglasses. He tried to pull them off, bite them off, and use keys to cut them off. Nothing worked. Then he had the bright idea of using an ink pen to snap off the tag. After a few minutes the ink was all over him, ruining his clothes. He looked over at Amy, who shook her head silently.



The Day My Kids Schooled a Rich Girl

Our kids were in a friend's carpool today, and she called to report this conversation:
Friend's kid: Mom, I want some sparkly flip flops.
Mom: Is that a need or a want?
Friend's kid: (Sighs) A want.
Mom: If it was a need, then we'd talk about it, but since it's a want, we're not going to buy sparkly flip flops.
At this time, a rich kid in the car said, "My mom buys me whatever I want."
This is when Hannah Johnson spoke up. "Did you know in Cambodia, the kids don't even have shoes? They work in the brick factory and walk on broken bricks and they don't have shoes!"
Abby: "When we went to Cambodia, we got to bring them shoes. Can you imagine how happy they were when they got those shoes? Can you imagine walking on brick shards with no shoes?"
Hannah: "And some of the kids there don't even have clothes! They don't have shirts or shorts, they just wear underwear! Or they don't have underwear and they just wear shirts!"
Abby: "And some of the kids there are slaves! They're like 5 years old and they're slaves! They don't get to see their moms and dads. They work all day, and don't even get to keep any of the money! It goes to their bosses! Can you imagine that?"
The rich kid sat in stunned silence. Love my girls and their hearts for other children.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment