Monday, July 26, 2010

The Dreaded Four-Year Checkup

Hannah had her four year doctor visit. First they gave her a hearing test. She was instructed to tell them when something sounded in her ear. My little singer sang each different pitch as it was played in her headphones. Next, they tested her eyesight. She didn’t like that one eye had to be covered. Her eye chart had pictures on it. Whenever she got to the teacup, she got it wrong and became frustrated. Do kids even know what teacups are anymore? I asked if she could just use the letter chart, but they didn’t believe me when I said that she knew her letters. She received a 20/30 on her eye chart because of that blasted teacup! (The educator in me was a bit ticked that she didn’t get 100%.)

Once we were put in the waiting room, it was my turn to entertain the children. Don’t you hate that tiny room? There is nothing to do. You have to keep them off the doctor’s rolling chair, and stand guard that they don’t fall off the examination table. We waited in that room for 45 minutes. I was going crazy! At one point, Hannah said, “I am going to pray to God that the doctor will come in.” Bowing her head, she whispers, “Dear God, please send in the doctor. It’s been a long time.” She lifts up her head and looks expectantly at the door. When the doctor didn’t come in, she became frustrated and said something about God not doing what she asked. She was angry! When Abby, the ever-faithful one, heard that Hannah was frustrated with God, she was highly offended and gave Hannah a lecture about God.

Luckily during our wait, Hannah was in a little hospital gown that flapped open in the back. Not a cell phone person, I was bored enough to figure out how to email Mike a video of Hannah’s backside in the gown. I was later charged $2.00 by my phone carrier.

Finally, finally, the doctor came in. She asked Hannah how old she was. Hannah answered, “Four!” About 30 seconds later, the doctor asked her again how old she was. Hannah was exasperated by this point. “AGAIN!?” Hannah demanded.

The last part of the exam was the dreaded shots. As I held her down and she screamed, I glanced over at Abby. She had backed into a corner and was silently sobbing for her sister. Mothers should NOT have to do this.

2 comments:

  1. tragic and sweet all at the same time, the email of the behind. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've prayed that same prayer as Hannah at the Dr.'s office. I hate that tiny room!!!! For me it's even better when I have Taylor crying & hiding under a chair b/c she knows she's going to get a shot.

    ReplyDelete