Monday, May 17, 2010

Where does she get this Stuff?

A friend of mine was asking Hannah about her life. When one lady’s name came up, (name withheld to protect privacy), Hannah said, “When she closes her eyes, they’re purple!” My friend asked if she wore purple makeup on her eyes. “No,” Hannah replied. “She’s just old.”


We were invited to a birthday party. (When will people learn?) The host was a beautiful Pakistani woman. She was dressed in her native clothing. She looked lovely and almost regal. When we came in, she said hello to us and bent down towards Hannah. The mom held out her hand as a gentle welcome to my little blond girl. Quite the American, Hannah didn’t pause for even one second before slapping the lady a high five and moving on.


In Hannah’s gymnastics class, the students are asked to do three somersaults in a row. This is what the other students looked like: somersault, somersault, somersault, stand, yell ta-duh! Hannah’s looked more like this: somersault, stand and pick undies out of bottom, somersault, stand and pick undies out of bottom, somersault, stand and pick undies out of bottom, yell ta-duh!


Driving home from church one Sunday, I asked Abby what she learned about in church. She told me, in some detail, about the lesson. I then asked Hannah the same question. She had a bored tone. “I don’t know; I wasn’t listening.” Horrified, Abby chided her, “Hannah, that’s not a good thing to do!” Hannah got defensive and answered with an up and down sing-song voice, “I was TIRED!”


While playing with their cousin, Jocie, the girls climbed into a dog crate and laughed as Gamma took pictures. Several days later, I heard Hannah tell a friend, “My mommy locks me in a cage!”

No comments:

Post a Comment