Monday, May 17, 2010

May

The girls and I were at Walmart, and I picked up some polish sausage. “What’s that?” asked Abby.
“Polska Kielbasa,” I explained.
“No, but what is it?” she asked again.
Knowing full well what she meant, I proceeded to mess with her. “Polska Kielbasa.”
“NO. What IS it?” she asked again, growing more frustrated.
I continued to play with her, changing my voice to some sort of make-believe accent. “POLSKA Kielbasa!”
We went back and forth for awhile before she finally lost it. Quite sternly, she demanded:
“MOMMY! Stop talking in CURSIVE!”


Hannah was studying a photo of Mike and me on our wedding day. She purred, “Mommy, you look just like a princess.” Long pause. “Daddy, you look like a human.”


We got Hannah a magnifying glass for her birthday. A few weeks later, Abby was writing a story about it. Her drawing of the magnifying glass was really good, but her spelling was a bit off. If any of you single ladies would like to borrow it, let me know. The story was about the “Manfind Glass.”


Hannah is obsessed with spelling and anything related to reading or to the alphabet. If there is an H anywhere in the vicinity, she gets quite excited. One day, my mom took her to the post office to “mail some letters.”
“OH!” Hannah said. “Are you mailing the letter H?”


Hannah’s preschool teachers asked her to fill in the blanks on a mother’s day card. Among my favorites:
Mommy is 12 years old.
Mommy’s eyes are blue.
Mommy’s hair is black.
When I’m at school, Mommy gets me food.
(I love her thoughts that I only think of her well-being when she’s away from me. If you were wondering, I have brown hair and hazel eyes.)


During a conversation with Hannah, we discovered something. Hannah thinks that we get our hair wet so that it will grow. After all, that’s what we do with our plants. (I thought that was pretty clever!)


Abby asked if she could call Gamma. I told her that Gamma wasn’t home, but she could leave a message if she wanted to. After dialing the number, then listening for the message and the beep, this is what she said.
“Hi, Gamma. This is Abby Johnson and Amy Johnson and Hannah Johnson. We’re not in right now, but if you leave a message, we’ll call you back. Thank you. Goodbye.”


Sometimes when the girls are hiding, Mike and I will say, “I guess our girls are all gone. Let’s go to the store and get some new girls.” Yesterday, Hannah said, “Abby’s not playing with me. Can we go to the store and get a new Abby?” Pause. “Let’s get a shiny one!”


No comments:

Post a Comment