Wednesday, December 8, 2010

October


In October, I had the amazing opportunity to go to Cambodia. (It will be blogged about more, later, but I am not finished with my journal yet.) Mike's mom was flying out to spend two weeks helping Mike with the girls. The day I left, Mike's mom was injured and could not make the trip out. Mike never told me that he was alone, since he wanted me to enjoy my time there. I received several emails, and never thought it strange that Grammy was not mentioned. One email even said that he was tired of being a single dad. (I made fun of him for that one, since I thought his mom was there.) So, for 12 days, he was super dad. Thank you to everyone who helped out, especially Mom and Dad, Scott and Kelli, and Melanie. The girls were kept entertained with:

School Carnival


Annual Pumpkin Patch (Notice that Abby's eating the bread that she's supposed to be feeding the donkey.)


Dinner Dates with Cousins Jocie and Will


and

A Trip to Fossil Rim Wildlife Park (I love this place! All the animals walk right up to your car as you drive through the park.)


While I was gone, I rode an elephant and ate a spider. The girls were thrilled with these facts, so when I got home, I found pictures in the dining room and plates of plastic spiders on the dining table.

Hannah loves the elephant picture because it looks like he's going potty. Abby assures us that his tail is yellow, it's not pee.


A conversation in the back seat of the car between two four-year-olds:
Hannah: Did you know that the yellow stuff in your nose is called snot?
Vivian: Yeah, and the green stuff is called boogers.

We were picking out the girls’ Halloween costumes. I ran across one that was a two-piece, skimpy ‘I dream of Jeanie’ outfit. I laughed at the thought of a four-year-old in an outfit baring her midriff. Just then, Hannah saw it. “Mom! That could be your costume!”



We took the girls on their first camping trip. They were thrilled! When we got to the campsite, however, Hannah lost some enthusiasm. It appeared that this particular site was a breeding area for spiders. There was a lovely canopy of spiders over much of the site. Mike got to work knocking the webs down. What we couldn’t reach, we assured the girls would not fall on us.
We enjoyed hot dogs for dinner and smores for dessert. Abby enjoyed the “three desserts in one!” The next morning, we hiked for over an hour. That was my favorite part of the adventure. These girls, who get exhausted after five minutes in a store, hiked for an hour. Before we left, we found a man-made beach and had fun on the sand. (Which was nothing like San Diego sand, by the way.) Abby, who lived in San Diego until she was two, declared, “This is the most beautiful beach I’ve ever seen!”
On the way home, we asked the girls what their favorite part of camping was. Without hesitating, Abby said, “Peeing in the bushes!” Hannah agreed.



Hannah said that she was going to make new friends at the gym one day. Abby became offended and asked why Hannah needed new friends, since she had Abby. Hannah asked, “Can I just make ONE new friend?” Abby wasn’t too happy about it.
A few days later, Hannah said, “Vivian is my bestest friend.” She then looked at Abby and quickly amended, “But Abby is my bester friend!”



A few days after I returned from Cambodia, I was getting Abby ready for school. I made her take her Sudafed, which she hates. After brushing her teeth, I made her use mouthwash, which she hates. She finally grumbled, “I wish you were still in Cambodia!” I asked, “Why? Because I make you do Sudafed and mouthwash?”
“Yeah, and do my homework!”



Hannah was goofing around while I was getting her dressed after a bath. When I finally asked what she was doing, she pushed my last button by replying, “Ignoring you!”


On Halloween, we started trick-or-treating early so that we could get our neighborhood in before we headed to Jocie and Will’s house. The cousins love to trick-or-treat together. In our neighborhood, we weren’t having much luck. No one would answer the door. At the 6th house, someone finally opened up. She dropped some candy in the girls’ buckets. Hannah put on her best sad face, and said, “Look, we don’t have ANY candy!” The woman dropped more candy in the buckets.

No comments:

Post a Comment