Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December Thus Far


I told Abby and Hannah that they could pick out whatever nail polish they wanted and I would buy it and give them manicures. I steered them towards the cheap stuff, and try as I may to dissuade them, they were dead set on neon orange and bright yellow. The next day, while showing a stranger her nails, Hannah explained, “This is my nail polish. Mom says it’s ugly.”

I let Abby pick out a Christmas tree topper this year, since our old one was broken. She picked out an $8 Walmart sparkly tin-foil type thing. I assured her that it was hideous, but she was dead set on it. When Gramma came over a few days later, Abby proudly showed off the star. “I picked out this star. Mom says it’s ugly!” (See a theme here?)



Abby’s class has a 10:00 snack time, so each day I placed a snack in her backpack. Eventually, I began putting five snacks in there for the week. Last week, I noticed the snacks were disappearing too quickly, and I asked her why. Abby the nurturer, explained that some moms are forgetting to pack snacks, so Abby is helping out the hungry kids. Here’s my quandary: I don’t want to pack snacks for all the kids who don’t have any, but I can see that Abby is doing something that I want to encourage. Mike and I talked about it, and he said to put two snacks in each day. I tried that, but the next day, Abby came home and loaded the backpack up. “Mom, you didn’t put enough snacks in today!” I have raised a child who is much nicer than I am.



“Mom,” asked Hannah in the car one day, “what does ‘A’ stand for?” When I told her I didn’t know, she said, “Hot. And ‘C’ stands for cold.” I was confused until I followed her eyes. She was looking towards the front dash at the button that says, A/C. Pretty smart, huh?



Hannah was playing with a flashlight and talking me through her actions. “I just need to fix the batteries because it doesn’t work right. I need the simples to match the simples.” She takes the batteries out, looks at them carefully, and starts turning them around. “There! Now the simples match the simples! It will work now!” And it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment