Friday, September 24, 2010

More Smiles

The girls were arguing over something, so I told them to do rock, paper, scissors. Abby’s face broke into a triumphant grin when Hannah yelled, “Okay! I’ll be scissors!!”


Abby has been repeatedly asking about the tooth fairy. A classmate has assured her that the tooth fairy isn’t real. I dodged the question numerous times, but began to feel guilty after she said, “Tell me the TRUTH, mom!” Mike said I should tell her. It’s so sad to me, because she got her teeth later than other babies, and the doctor said she’d be late to lose them. That’s turned out to be true. Plus, she’s one of the youngest in her class. So, while her classmates have mouthfuls of the awkward big teeth, Abby has only lost two. The tooth fairy has only visited her two times, and now she wants the truth!


I finally sat her down and explained that there is no tooth fairy, but it’s a fun thing to pretend about. Her face fell, and I literally saw her heart break from my words.

Abby: But she took my teeth!

Me: That was me, baby.

Abby: She wrote me a letter!

Me: That was me, too.

After a lot of heart to heart, she agreed to keep the secret from Hannah. She would play along, but she wanted to see her old teeth.

The next day, Hannah marched up to me demanding to know why I had taken Abby’s teeth from the tooth fairy. Abby quickly changed the story, telling Hannah that I am in fact THE tooth fairy for everyone! I stammered over some words, but I have no idea what Hannah thinks now.

Abby’s now beginning to ask about Santa Claus. I told Mike, in no uncertain terms, that HE will be the one to have that discussion.


Abby does homework:


Abby was getting her teeth cleaned at the dentist office. Hannah looked on, her usual chatty self. The dentist finally asked her when she was going to have her teeth cleaned. “I can’t have my teeth cleaned, because I never stop talking!” she declared. He looked at me with the same question. “When you charge by the pound of the patient, I’ll bring her in for a cleaning.” He left it alone after that.


We had just visited my brother and his wife in Austin. Apparently, Toby and Hannah had a conversation that I was not privy to. The next day, she asked, “Mommy, where’s Hollywood?” I told her that is was in California, near Disneyland. “Oh. And where’s Syrup?” Confused, I asked her to clarify. “Syrup. Toby told me about Syrup.” I explained that there is no place called Syrup. She was adamant that Toby had told her all about Syrup. She was actually a bit upset that I didn’t know where it was.

I forgot about the conversation until two days later when she said, “I wish we could take a boat and go across the ocean to Syrup.” It clicked in my mind. “Do you mean EUROPE?” Abby started laughing hysterically. Hannah thought and muttered, “I thought he said Syrup!”


I told Abby she could pick any restaurant for her birthday dinner. She got very excited and leaned over to Hannah. “Hannah! It’s my birthday, and I can pick any place I want to eat dinner! (Pause.) Should I pick McDonald’s or Chik-Fil-A?”

We went to IHOP for dinner. (I know, you’re all jealous that you can’t be as classy as us.) Abby looked through the menu and leaned over to Mike. She pointed out a pancake breakfast that has a huge butter scoop on top. “Don’t get this, Dad.” She pointed to the picture of the butter. “I got it before, because I thought this was ice cream. They tricked me!”

The girls both love music, and it's interesting how they "hear" the lyrics. One song has a line, "It happens in a blink." The line repeats several times. In the backseat, Hannah sings, "It happens when I'm three." A Vegetales song sings, "You put this love in my heart!" Hannah asks, "Why'd they slobber the heart?"

1 comment:

  1. Aren't our kids amazing!
    I am going to miss all this silly fun when they grow up.
    I hope the coming holiday season brings much joy to your home.

    ReplyDelete