Friday, February 19, 2010

Run, Mommy, Run!

In an attempt to exercise more, I decided to run a race. I began a program called "Couch to 5-K," and diligently followed the program for seven weeks. On January 23rd, I ran my first race since the fourth grade. It took me 36 minutes to run the 3.1 miles, but I was very proud of myself. My children were even more proud. After watching over 400 people finish before me, Hannah cheered me across the finish line. "Did you win, Mommy? Did you win!?!" I told her that I had won the Hannah's mommy race.

But I think my biggest supporter was Abby. Look in the background of this picture. See my little cheerleader in the pink pants? My heart swells each time I look at it.



My dad also ran, but being in much better shape than I, he ran the 15K. He got second place in his age group. (There were only two people in his age group, and the 70-year-old man beat him by quite a bit, but still!)

Before the race, there was an insanely long line for the port-a-potties. The announcer kept urging us to get to the start line, but we all had to, um, go. Dad, who was behind me in line, said, "I'm going into the woods." Sure enough, he jogged off into the woods. Seeing him run off, a male voice started yelling, "Yeah, guys! Get out of line! Let the ladies go! Man up, guys!" Slowly, each man got out of line. A few minutes later, dad jogged back yelling, "There's a great spot in the woods, guys!" I'm so proud. Way to problem solve, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. oh man! i wanna do the couch to 5k, way to go girl, you did great! (and, way to man up, uncle jim!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Amy!
    Bill and I are both trying to get in better shape. I am actually starting to feel defined muscle in my legs, not just flab!
    I love the snow pictures.
    Have you all been liking the seasons?
    I am glad you have a blog because Bill never remembered to forward your great fun e-mails to me.
    Now I can keep up so to speak.

    ReplyDelete